Updated October 30, 2022
Occasionally, I mention blogs and other resources (and include links) when they are relevant to a topic that I’m discussing and they have reliable information.
More generally, before refreshing the look of this blog (quite awhile ago at this point), I used to have a so-called “blog roll” (not my term) with links to blogs and resources containing good, reliable information that I liked and thought others might be interested in as well.
I was reminded about the “blog roll” by a recent request to “cross-pollinate” blogs. While I will consider all legitimate requests, I will not recommend or “cross-pollinate” a blog or other resource simply for marketing or cross-marketing purposes. However, the particular request seemed like a good resource and made me think to recreate my old blog roll.
This past week, I was at the AIPLA Annual Meeting, and during the Trade Secret Committee meeting, someone (I believe it was the incoming chair, Ben Fink) had suggested that people connect their blogs to the AIPLA Trade Secret Committee microsite. I think that’s an excellent idea and encourage people to do it.
As I was thinking about that, I was reminded of this post, so thought I would update it. In fact, I may actually create a stand-alone page of resources, so it doesn’t get lost in the stream of posts.
For now, however, the blogs and resources on this page — listed alphabetically — are ones that I read regularly and found to be very useful. I hope you do too.
If you have other blogs or resources that you like, please email me.
Noncompete / Trade Secrets Blogs (United States):
These blogs are terrific, regularly updated, and include very helpful posts from true thought leaders in the trade secrets and restrictive covenants space:
- Insights, News & Events (Fisher Phillips)
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Report (Jackson Lewis)
- Perspectives on Business Matters (Non-Compete & Trade Secrets) (Berman Fink Van Horn)
- Trade Secrets Law Blog (SheppardMullin)
- The Trade Secret Litigator (John Marsh, Bailey Cavalieri)
- Trade Secrets Trends (Crowell & Moring)
- Trade Secrets & Employee Mobility (Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.)
- Trading Secrets (Seyfarth Shaw)
In addition, the following are also some terrific blogs, though, unfortunately, they are not updated as frequently as they used to be — but they still have some great information and are still worth checking out:
- Delaware Non-Compete Law Blog (Young Conway)
- Massachusetts Noncompete Law (Foley Hoag)
- Non-Compete & Trade Secrets Law (Duane Morris)
- Protecting Trade Secrets (Eric Ostroff)
- The Non-compete Blog (Jonathan Pollard)
- Trade Secrets Watch (Orrick)
A blog that I am very sad to say called it quits on December 15, 2018, but was outstanding when it was running (and still has useful content), is Legal Developments in Non-Competition Agreements (Ken Vanko).
In addition, though not a blog, James Pooley has an aggregation of articles and blog posts that he’s written, all accessible on one page. Definitely worth reading.
Finally, there is a terrific blog about Canadian noncompete law, The Canadian Employee Competition Blog (Pulver Crawford Munroe LLP) that’s worth checking out.
- 50 State Noncompete Laws Chart (Beck Reed Riden) (first of it’s kind; downloadable PDF)
- 50 State (and Federal) Trade Secrets Laws Chart (Beck Reed Riden) (first and only; downloadable PDF)
- Changing Trade Secrets | Noncompete Laws (Beck Reed Riden)
- Trade secret (Wikipedia)
- Trade Secret Protection (LinkedIn group)
- Non-compete clause (Wikipedia)
- Noncompete Lawyers (LinkedIn group)
- Noncompete Wage Thresholds and Criteria Chart (Beck Reed Riden) (downloadable PDF)
- Noncompete Notice Requirements Chart (Beck Reed Riden) (downloadable PDF)
- Trade secret and other legitimate business interest protection plan strategy and checklist (Beck Reed Riden)
Please note that the most current version of both the 50 State Noncompete Chart and 50 state and federal survey chart of trade secret laws can always be found on my firm’s resources page.