50-state noncompete chart updated
We have just updated our 50-State Noncompete Chart again.
This update is to reflect:
- Kentucky’s modification of the direct healthcare staff exemption; and
- Maryland’s new low-wage thresholds (effective October 1, 2023); and
- Minnesota’s new noncompete ban (effective July 1, 2023).
The chart – which was the first of its kind and has been updated regularly since 2010 – is now fully up to date through today, May 25, 2023.
Though a stand-alone resource, the noncompete chart works as a companion to our 50-state and federal survey chart of trade secret laws (which we originally prepared on August 14, 2016, is likewise updated as laws have changed).
Additional firm resources:
We know how hard it is to keep up with the ever-changing requirements around the country. To help, in addition to our 50-State Noncompete Chart and 50-state and federal survey chart of trade secret laws described above, we have created the following resources (available for free):
- Chart of Noncompete “Low-Wage” Thresholds and Criteria (downloadable);
- Notice requirements summary chart, providing details for each of the 8 states (plus D.C.) that has notice requirements related to noncompetes (downloadable PDF);
- “Changing Trade Secrets | Noncompete Laws” (dedicated blog page) now provides a current detailed summary of the changing landscape of trade secret laws and noncompete laws around the country, state by state and at the federal level;
- Trade secret and other legitimate business interest protection plan strategy and checklist; and
- Ten Minute Trade Secret Training Series, currently with three training videos and one “basics” video:
We hope you find all of these resources useful.
And please note that we are grateful for all of the input we’ve received over the years, and welcome any suggestions for improvements that you may be willing to share.
*Thank you to Erika Hahn for her ongoing help ensuring that I am on top of the many recent developments around the country.